Walk in Solidarity with the ACT NOW ON 2015 campaign
Friday, 06 Aug 2010
Come join VMM in a solidarity walk to the Hellfire Club, Montpelier Hill, Dublin on the 28th of August 2010. VMM is playing its part in highlighting the importance of tackling global poverty and the need for Ireland to deliver on its overseas aid promise.
With only five years until the 2015 deadline to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on governments to engage constructively in preparations for a high-level meeting from 20-22 September 2010 to review progress towards the achieving these and other international development targets.
We urge our national government to heed our call for a renewed focus on sustainable development. The ACT NOW on 2015 campaign is calling on the government to:
- Announce binding annual targets to achieve 0.7% by 2015 at the latest
- Enact legislation to guarantee Ireland's aid commitment
VMM firmly believe in a world where sustainable holistic human development is achievable. We believe that the only way to achieve global peace and harmony is through the promotion of human rights and respect for the planet and all its inhabitants. We believe that if we have been entrusted with the future of our planet and her limited resources, we must morally obligate ourselves to champion social, spiritual and environmental justice.
VMM, The Priory, John Street West, Dublin 8
Tel: 01 633 4421
Follow us on Twitter: @VMMEurope
Notes to Editors:
1. VMM is a lay Christian Development Organisation with over 40 years experience in recruiting, training and placing professional qualified volunteers in areas of need
2. VMM works with partners in eight countries in Africa and the Philippines towards the achievement with local and national development policies and inline with the MDGs. In particular we are work towards Health and Education objectives.
3. The eight MDGs are:
• Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
• Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
• Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
• Goal 4: Reduce child mortality
• Goal 5: Improve maternal health
• Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
• Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
• Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
For more information on the Goals and Targets please visit:(http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mdg/Host.aspx?Content=Indicators/OfficialList.htm)